Monday, September 27, 2010

Toad lilies!

The single toad lily I planted last fall has thrived in its rather crowded little corner of this bed - notice how the impatiens are surrounding it. I'd never heard of toad lilies before the nurseryman out at the cabin gave me one when I bought a trunkload of other things from him last September. Now I'm a fan. The incredibly harsh winter and equally harsh summer didn't kill it off - look at those first blooms, which just opened today, after we got the first measurable rain in about a month last night. Those 2 tall green spires are loaded with buds at nearly every pair of leaves - can't wait until those open!

Looks like I'll need to divide this baby come spring. If I do and find more than just 2 or 3 bulbs or whatever, I'll probably take one over to DB's house and add it to his garden.

No comments: