Thursday, September 23, 2010

A bit nervous about tomorrow

The Chief has had a problem with one finger not extending fully, which the doc told him was trigger finger. He's tried several things to relieve it, without success, so tomorrow the doctor is going for the last resort - surgery. It's done on an outpatient basis with local anesthesia, so the Chief will be awake to respond appropriately when the doc asks him to wiggle his finger this way and that to see if they've corrected the problem. Once the doctor is satisfied, he'll stitch up the finger, give the Chief a painkiller prescription and let me chauffeur him home.

The Chief isn't worried about the procedure, but is a bit concerned about post-op pain and what it'll take to keep it at bay. I, on the other hand, find myself unduly nervous about the surgery itself; I find myself dreading that something awful will happen and he'll lost the use of that finger or even the hand! The doctor was matter-of-fact about it, as if this is as routine as a tonsillectomy, but the thought anyone cutting into the Chief's hand and tinkering with how his fingers work... =:o Pray for his healing and my peace of mind!

No comments: