Tuesday, March 31, 2009

That went well, I think.

Another audition behind me. I think this is the first time I've really worked my audition piece (Katisha's recitative and aria, from The Mikado) outside of my voice lesson. I even scheduled an audition coaching session with my former voice teacher, who knows G&S inside & out, both musically and dramatically.

I've started to get at least a little serious about working on specific technical things lately, which is starting to pay off. I also made myself stage the piece and tried to remember to pull out all the stops for the audition panel. Not sure I managed that, but I'm actually reasonably pleased with how I did, which I can't often say.

I doubt I'll get the part I want (the competition includes a mezzo who's done at least a few leads with the company), or anything but chorus, for that matter, but I think I gave one of my best auditions so far. Now it's up to the panel, whose decision will be based on a lot of things I can't control.

No comments: