Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring?

I saw my first crocuses of the season nearly 3 weeks ago, and the daffodils are blooming almost concurrently with the crocuses, instead of 2-3 weeks later. The forsythia is already starting to come out, several different kinds of trees are already in bud, the Bradford pears may well be in bloom by the weekend, and even our dogwoods are sporting some pretty healthy buds.

Two weekends ago the highs were in the 70s, which brought all these blooms along right smartly, along with the first wave of allergens. Last weekend, though, the highs were only in the 40s, with the occasional light rain and some pretty stiff breezes. By now we should be used to the way spring loves to sucker-punch us like that, but those warm temps lasted more than 2 days running so we made the mistake of allowing ourselves to believe...

Still, I do love seeing the crocuses. Yes, I know they come up every year, and I even know which yards to watch and which colors come in where, but I still get as excited as a little kid at Christmas when I spot those first purple blooms.

No comments: