Thursday, May 11, 2006

Theater envy

Went to the board meeting last night for a community theater company I've worked with for several years. Five of the 8 of us are in rehearsal for the company's June show or something else. I'm so jealous; it's been nearly a year since I did Mikado, and I haven't even auditioned for anything because of my work schedule. The withdrawal has been hard. I've gotten over the DTs, but I still crave my fix.

Since my schedule didn't normalize in time for me to do the June show, I'm sewing costumes for it. Or at least I'm supposed to be; I'm still hunting for one or two bits & pieces for my sewing machine, like the box w/ the zipper foot in it. The Chief straightened up the basement while I was on the road, you see; I was lucky I could find the sewing machine!

But I enjoy sewing costumes, and am looking forward to seeing them on people. The dresses are full length and full-skirted, in a fabric that will flow beautifully (at least the 3 I have to work on). They'll eventually have "drapy bits" and some sorta spiffy trim; can't wait to see them "in action". I've already arranged to have Tech Week off from work so I can sew in the green room during rehearsals, making last-minute adjustments, putting on finishing touches, and the like. Best of all, our costume designer is a real pro - learned the ropes in the costume workshops of NYC, has designed patterns for a major pattern company for years, and even has her own line of costume patterns. I call her the Costume Goddess and feel privileged to work with her.

No comments: