Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Grandiose gardening dreams

I'm probably biting off more than I can chew, but I've been searching for groundcovers to plant in the strip down the middle of the driveway; something esthetic that will tolerate a lot of shade and will keep the dirt in place. Found a wonderful gardening site in my electronic explorations: . "Paggers" has some very nice photos of the incredible variety of plants in her garden, their names, research she's done into them (she seems to be very conscientious about getting the names right), and descriptions. As an amateur who's got a heckuva lotta gardening to learn about, I find the articles helpful without being too technical, nor do they talk down to those of us with little knowledge in these things.

As a result of finding her site and some others, my shopping list for the nursery now includes:
- mazus reptans or creeping veronica (veronica umbrosa) to fill in the patch of dirt down the center of the driveway
- the spider variety of osteospermum (just a few to go into pots on the front steps)
- a few impatiens to go into pots alternating w/ the osteospermum pots
- pansies and violas to fill the gaps in my pansy bed

With any luck, I'll be able to find everything in one place and the plants won't die on me. If whatever I put in the driveway dies on me, I can always fall back on cuttings from the vinca and pachysandra we already have.

No comments: