Sunday, January 10, 2010

This could be a brutal winter.

First snowfall in early December, 18-24 inches a coupla weeks later, temps that barely get above the freezing mark - we don't get hit like this until January or February! In 30 years in this area, I think this is the first time we've ever had this much snow or bitter cold in December, yet we've already had another light snowfall (inch or two), and we'll probably get more before April. We've got 2 shovels at the house & 2 at the cabin, but I want to get 2 more, for each of the cars, as well as a bit more ice melt, just in case. I think I need to pack the freezer with provisions too, against another snowed-in day or few.

We've been running the space heater in the kitchen pretty much all our waking hours and have the thermostat bumped up a little, yet the house is still cold. Makes us wonder if there's much insulation in the exterior walls. (That's one of the reasons the Chief wanted to open up the bathroom walls - to pack 'em with insulation.)

I just hope the temperatures moderate a little between now and Tuesday; I've got an audition that night and sub-zero temperatures make singing a lot more work.

No comments: