Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fun with actors

Back-to-back auditions - last night was for Moon Over Buffalo, tonight was Taming of the Shrew. Both were fun, in different ways. MOB is a door-slamming farce, and I got to read both the deaf older woman and Charlotte, the theater veteran. I got to be all histrionic and over the top - quite fun.

In that setting, all of us auditioning were in the room together. Tonight, each pair or group reading a scene went into a small room to read for the director and her assistant, while the rest of us waited outside, perhaps rehearsing the scene we'd been given with our scene partners. I ended up reading 3 different parts (Baptista, parent to Katherina & Bianca; Hortensio, one of Bianca's suitors; and Kate, the shrew). With Shakespeare, you do need a couple of runs through the text before you read it for the directors so you can catch the wordplay, figure out the syntax, and pick up some of the subtleties. The linguist in me loves the language challenge, and it was fun playing such different characters.

Last night's director didn't expect to need callbacks and promised to let us all know "one way or the other" by the end of the week. Tonight's director said she expected to be telling people tomorrow whether to come to callbacks on Thursday. I find myself hoping I only get cast in one show; I'd hate to have to decide between them. And if I'm not cast in either one, there are 3 more shows to audition for over the next month.

No comments: