Thursday, February 19, 2009

Another good lesson

A lesson or two ago, I finally, finally "got" the sensation of a dropped larynx that my voice teacher and her predecessor have been trying to guide me toward. Sounds weird, or maybe like something you might have to call 911 for, but dropping the larynx opens things up in the back of the throat, giving you a bigger, better resonating chamber.

Then today I was able to incorporate that with some breath timing (tricky only because I've been timing it wrong for so very many years). Once I realized that when I got to the range where I tend to get scared and tighten up, I just needed a little more "oomph" to get me through, well, not only did it feel good, but my teacher lit up and said that was about the best she's heard me sing! Now to make all that a habit...

Ya know, I'm becoming a believer in this voice lesson stuff. :D

No comments: