Saturday, February 24, 2007

Miscellaneous

I had a headshot sitting scheduled for today, but after a long, tiring week and only 6 hours of sleep last night, decided I'd better reschedule. (I don't fancy distributing headshots that look like a portrait that should be up in my attic.) Then I checked my e-mail and learned that today's Birdie rehearsal was cancelled. This means I don't have to go anywhere until it's time to leave for the theater for my 6:30 call. Yee-ha! I'll have time for a NAP! I've already plowed thru my e-mail backlog, and look, I'm even updating this blog thingy.

In other news, we just got the Birdie rehearsal schedule for March. Looks like Saturdays & Sundays are reserved for choreography rehearsals. Since I'm not in any of the dance numbers, and we don't have any Friday rehearsals at all, I might be able to get out to the cabin again in a few weeks to see how much damage we had to the pipes. Depending on the weather, I may also look into getting a truckload of topsoil delivered and spread over the septic field. I ordered 50 vinca plants a month or so ago; once those come in, I'll plant 'em all over the place. That should help keep the dirt above the septic field from washing down the hill. Yes, the grass TW planted last fall already helps, but it's not as ornamental - no pretty purple flowers. I'm also thinking about planting lilies-of-the-valley, but I'm not buying a single pip until I can find someone or something to tell me how likely the deer are to eat them all up. I've thought about planting daffodils there, but of course I can't plant those until fall, which means I wouldn't see results until next spring.

Turns out dubheach will be in town for a sci-fi con the last weekend of March. It would be SO great if we can get together - we haven't laid eyes on each other in 6 years, when she was in town to see TW & me get married.

When TW called this morning, he told me he was able to get new glasses at the (American eyeglass franchise) at a local mall on the outskirts of Doha! Forget political hegemony; the US seems to be concentrating on commercial imperialism - fast food and chain restaurants everywhere, the top 2 colas duking it out for world domination, and even an eyeglass franchise trying to change the world's focus.

We've had a MOST welcome (at least to me) thaw the past few days, but of course we knew it wouldn't last. The weather forecast last night was threatening sleet or freezing rain starting sometime during the night tonight, to continue into tomorrow evening. This could very easily cancel our last Ruddigore performance tomorrow - horrors! I see the forecast has been updated since last night; now they're saying we'll get a "wintry mix" (i.e., think of every possible kind of frozen or freezing precipitation - that's what you'll get) that should change to rain by afternoon. However, even if things warm up enough that all we get is rain, that'll still cut into our attendance. People just don't like going out in the rain if they don't have to. However, if it's just rain, and it's warm enough that we don't have to worry about refreezing, at least the show can still go on, as can the post-strike cast party. And really, that's the most important thing, isn't it! ;)

No comments: