Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

And it's getting off to a weird start. Yesterday TW and I passed a house w/ a yard blanketed with snowdrops because the weather's been so mild (highs in the 50s and 60s) for most of December. I'm sure other people are seeing their crocuses and other spring bulbs starting to come up, thinking it's February or March. Saddam is dead and we have a new war in Africa, but my newest niece is as healthy as anyone could wish and Mom looked and was feeling much better at Christmas than she did in October.

TW and I watched The Wizard of Oz this afternoon, then finished off the pot roast. Like most such things, it was better after sitting in the fridge for a day or two. No other big plans before he leaves; he goes back to the eye doc tomorrow to find out whether he does indeed have glaucoma (this has me much more worried than his imminent deployment!), but otherwise we'll probably just enjoy the last of our quiet time together before we leave for the airport tomorrow night.

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but I do have a few things I'd like to achieve in 2007. Theatrically, I want to continue to make progress vocally, get another principal role (I'm really wishing for Ruth in Pirates of Penzance, but that's long odds), and maybe get back into Middle Eastern dance if I can schedule a class around rehearsals. I'm also slated to train up for my first season as an adjudicator for a local community theater awards organization. That'll mean seeing several shows a season. Tix will be free, but it will probably mean driving all over the place to see this or that company's production. At work I want to climb the ladder a rung or two, maybe by becoming the local go-to person for something or picking up certain responsibilities. And I have lots of plans for the cabin: make curtains for the new bedroom, install the blinds we ordered, hunt down non-ceramic bathroom accessories (much harder than I'd expected), finish getting the furniture back in place, bring over the last couple of rugs, and see if I can't manage to persuade more friends to come visit there.

No comments: