Tuesday, January 02, 2007

And so begins my grass widowhood

"He's flown away for 179 days to a land where the palm trees grow." (It only scans if you read the number as "one seven nine".)

I drove TW to the airport tonight, the first leg of a nearly 2-day journey to begin his 6-month deployment. We've done this before, when he was still a reservist and was activated after 9/11, but for some reason it's harder this time. Maybe because this time I know exactly how loud the silence in an empty house can get when I'm used to sharing the house with him. Because the last few days have been kinda tough for me, TW asked a friend to come to the airport with us so I'd have company to distract me on the ride home, bless his heart. It worked a treat, too - our friend kept up a steady stream of chatter on safe topics and distracted me so well that I turned too soon as we were getting close to home! :D

And for those of you wondering about the term "grass widow", here's one definition.

No comments: