Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Dodged a bullet!

Today was the first day of a 2-day conference about 30 miles from home.  I opted to drive myself rather than go into work (in the opposite direction) and drive to the conference with colleagues, which would have added at least 90 minutes to the day's commute.  The forecast for this afternoon was ominous - the dreaded "wintry mix" of some combination of sleet and freezing rain.  The last time I did this sorta thing, I ended up spending the night at a nearby hotel rather than risk sliding into a ditch or another vehicle.  With that in mind, I took an overnight bag with me when I set out this morning.  To my great relief, it was barely raining on the way home tonight.  It was a long drive (nearly 2 hours, vs. 1 hour to get there this morning), but I made it home without incident and got to dine with my theater widower on homemade turkey soup.

No comments: