Sunday, November 01, 2015

My Regency stays are coming along

Had my second fitting this afternoon for my Regency stays.  My seamstress is giving me a very reasonable price because she's never done corsetry before.  She keeps telling me how much fun she's having, though - she's learning so many interesting things in the course of her research (scrimshaw busks, anyone?) and is enjoying learning new techniques.  The first fitting was just a single layer of fabric, to get an idea of where the seams, gussets & boning channels would need to go.  Today she had added a second layer with the busk and some preliminary boning.  It fit remarkably well; this is coming along nicely!

I had asked that it be ready by Thanksgiving so I would have time to make myself a dress (which I can't fit properly without the stays) for a Jan. 9th Twelfth Night ball the Chief & I plan to attend.  She's doing her part; soon it'll be my turn to start sewing.  The fitting scares me - I have NO idea how to make it work - but I know a few people locally who can help.  And even if I don't finish the dress in time for the ball, the Plan B dress I bought at last month's costume sale should do marvelously.  Just need to lower the hem and add some accessories and it'll be ready to go.

No comments: