Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Annual ritual

Sunday was the annual planting of the impatiens bed. But most of the impatiens are in the lower tier of the bed, with a few of them flanking the hellebores in the upper tier (the Chief's suggestion) to fill the holes.

I also planted the flower boxes - geraniums and million bells again this year, with a few snapdragons mixed in for fun. I got a red and a deep-red geranium, but the nursery had no red million bells when I went, so I got 1 pink and 2 yellows. The snapdragons are white, yellow, red and a pink/yellow mix. We'll see how they like growing in a flowerbox.

The Chief tried the cilantro and herb boxes outside but they didn't seem to be doing too well - maybe they were getting too much direct sun? This afternoon I decided to bring them back inside; the cilantro is now back on the windowsill and the herb box on the island, where it gets plenty of indirect sun from the skylight.

No comments: