Sunday, April 03, 2011

We'll see how long they last

The Chief and I went to the nursery yesterday. Too soon for the impatiens I was planning to get, but we did come home w/ some herbs (parsley, cilantro, rosemary, dill, basil, oregano) and a couple of planters for same. The cilantro is now ensconced in a windowsill planter on the sill above the kitchen table, while the others are in a larger planter on the island. We'll see how long I can manage to keep these plants alive; I didn't inherit Mom's green hands, unfortunately. A green thumbnail, maybe; hope that's enough.

The last time I tried this, I planted some parsley in a pot I already had; the stuff lasted maybe 3 weeks. I'd had something else die in that pot too, so maybe it needed to be sterilized before I put anything else in it. I do hope these things do well in their brand-new planters; aside from the expense, I just hate to see the poor little things wither & die.

On the other hand, the 2 pots of tulips (1 yellow, 1 purple) I picked up at Sam's a couple of weeks ago have been flourishing. Not only did all 6 bulbs in each pot bloom beautifully, but they are also wonderfully aromatic. I never knew tulips had a fragrance, so this has been a delightful experience - beautiful flowers (that are starting to drop their petals) that smell beautiful. Now to decide where to plant the bulbs...

No comments: