Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Zumba!

I just learned that one of the local high schools has a few fitness classes open to the community, so Monday I had my first-ever Zumba class. It was a struggle to get through the hour, but I did it. Surprisingly, even though my legs felt like overcooked spaghetti afterwards, I didn't really hurt - none of that "hurting in muscles I'd forgotten" business. I did take it easy - we were in the cafeteria (hard on arthritic knees), and I knew I needed to baby my arthritic joints and sedentary self - but still was left in NO doubt that I'd had a work-out! The only problem was that I didn't baby my bad shoulder enough - just steering to get out of my parking space after class was painful. I'll know better for next time.

I was thinking I'd just do this once a week initially, while I ease out of my sedentary life, but the Chief told me last night to go ahead & take the Thursday class as well, after which we would go to the Chinese place near my rehearsal site (we rehearse Mon/Tue/Thu). So maybe I'll get back into shape more quickly than I'd anticipated, which is not a bad thing at all.

The instructor told us she also teaches an aqua-zumba class; I'll have to find out more.

No comments: