Friday, March 18, 2011

"They're dancing!"

I called the Chief this afternoon about something and he told me that when he brought the recycling bin in from the curb, he checked out my crocuses "And they're dancing!" Highs finally got into the 70s today; I'm sure that's the reason they look so very happy. The first brave crocuses of the swaths I planted last fall are just starting to come up, with 3 or 4 finally blooming today. I still don't see as many shoots as there should be; I hope it's only that I planted the bulbs a little too deep, not that some varmint ate them.

I was also pleased to see that the hellebores on the side of the house are finally blooming! Until today I only saw one lone white bloom; today that plant has a few more buds getting ready to open, a second plant looks like it'll bloom white as well, and a 3rd has a magenta flower on it, with a couple of buds promising more flowers. Those plants must have been brand new when I planted them, that it took 2-1/2 years for them to mature enough to bloom. And the one in the front bed hasn't bloomed yet. However, it took rather a beating this winter, so maybe it'll need another year to recover, poor thing.

Today's mild weather had me itching to swing by the nursery on the way home to load up on impatiens and perhaps a few other things. However, the Chief plans to build a tier in the front bed; no point in buying anything for that bed until the "construction" is finished. It should be pretty; I can plant one thing in the upper tier and something different in the lower tier, or all impatiens but in different colors or color schemes, or... Now that spring seems to be here to stay, I really want to get that bed populated!

No comments: