Saturday, January 10, 2009

Costume/sewing geeks having fun

Went to a friend's house a few nights ago to help her with a project. She's been working on a reproduction of a Tudor-era "french gown", accurate down to the underpinnings. This girl's so committed to accuracy, she sewed the stays herself from the general directions in The Tudor Tailor. She's already finished the chemise and kirtle (like a sleeveless underdress; this is the piece that has the stays in it) and I was helping her fit the torso mock-up for the gown. She showed me the gorgeous brocade she ordered on line for the gown; I can't wait to see the finished product, especially how all that fabric moves!

Naturally, we also spent a good bit of time catching up (we hadn't seen each other since Pirates) and talking costuming in general. I got to meet her cat (who didn't like it when the project got more of our attention than he did) & snake, see her brother again (another Pirates alum), and generally had a lovely evening. It's just a shame that I had to leave earlier than I would have liked so I'd get at least some sleep before work the next morning.

No comments: