Monday, July 17, 2006

Heat advisory!

Too darn hot! I don't know if we set any records, but the heat was certainly stifling. Walking into the kitchen from outdoors, the kitchen felt almost cold despite being about 82 or 83 degrees. I tried not to listen too carefully to the weather forecast, but couldn't help hearing that the highs are supposed to stay in the upper 90s for at least another few days.

The Chief watered the flowers again tonight; we're trying desperately to keep them from drying up completely, and we're mostly succeeding, but the impatiens are very definitely not happy!

Maybe tomorrow I'll take my potted impatiens and put them into the bed where my pansies & violas were. That'll fill the holes and make the bed look less pathetic, and maybe the impatiens will do better with some room to grow. And water, of course; thirsty impatiens really are very sad-looking.

The Alliance Francaise, where I'm taking my French class, is in a part of town with lots of very nice houses, many of which have very nice gardens. I was noticing tonight, though, that a lot of those flowers are looking less than their best now that the heat has set in. It's interesting to see which ones seem to be holding up and which are suffering. Of the ones I can identify, the petunias and other sun-loving plants all seem to be thriving, while the impatiens and other shade-lovers are considerably less pleased with the heat.

No comments: