Sunday, July 16, 2006

Garden update


Here's how my experiments are going so far:
- The mazus reptans (see photo) is thriving! It's slowly putting out runners, so I may well just take some cuttings to propagate for the rest of the driveway. Our summer weather is just starting to get serious (consistently very hot), so perhaps it's a bit premature to get excited about this, but it certainly looks promising.
- The rain earlier this month beat the living daylights outta the bed next to the front door. Between that and the local fauna digging it up, there's precious little left. :( The pansies and violas are completely gone and only 3 or 4 torenias are hanging in there.
- The impatiens I put in flower pots on the front steps are looking very sad and leggy. Part of the problem is that some neighborhood critter insists on digging in the pots, but I'm wondering if perhaps they've gotten rather root-bound.
- The impatiens on the south side of the house are hanging in there, but I think they get a little too much shade there. They also need faithful watering now that the heat has set in for good. They'll survive the summer, but I think I'll try something else there next year.
- The torenias I planted on the north side of the house aren't doing as well as I had hoped. The ones along the fenceline are hanging in there, but I've about given up on the batch planted near the side of the house. Part of the problem is the beating they took from the heavy rains before the Chief put up some drip-edge to redirect the run-off on that side of the roof, and the gate to the back yard (a double gate, one side of which swings over that patch) just made things worse. I think I'm just gonna plant a bunch of ferns on that side and be done with it.
- And the allium I planted last fall never came up - not one single bulb! I'm assuming something ate them all. I won't try planting that again.

No comments: