Sunday, February 21, 2010

RIP, Mom

Wow, that was fast. Mom went in for a biopsy Wednesday morning, was admitted that night because she was having breathing problems. By Friday night they were talking metastasized cancer and hospice care. My brother called at noon on Saturday to say "Get on a plane!" and not 3 hours later, as the Chief was driving me to the airport, my sister called to say Mom had "let go of her body".

I was at the Grand Duke Sitz when my brother called, so as soon as I called the Chief and asked him to find me a flight, I told a few key people I was leaving immediately to pack and would let them know when I'd be back. The trip was surreal - mostly consisted of repeating "I can't believe she's gone."

We're all still in shock, trying to digest the fact that she isn't there any more. We just settled that the wake will be Tuesday night and the funeral Wednesday morning. The Chief is flying in tomorrow (he had stayed home, in case he got the same kind of call about his mom that I'd gotten about mine) and he & I will go home Thursday.

Did someone get the license numbers of that fleet of semis that just hit our family?

4 comments:

James Behrens, OCSO said...

I am sorry for you loss and hope that you are getting all the love and support you need and deserve...James

Shannon said...

By happenstance, I found your blog. I am deeply sorry for you loss. I will pray for you & your family.

Stop by sometime.

Blessings,

Shannon

Marvinator said...

I happened upon your blog and would like to offer my condolences in your loss.

My mother left us in December, after a many months of hospice care. She would bounce back and be insisting she's be back at home in days and then be unable to even hold the phone when I called.

I made "the trip" home back in February. Even with the long time it took for her to succumb, her loss still affects me.

I would call her every Sunday and we'd share stories, books we'd been reading and most important of all, laughter.

Like you, I still find things happening that I'd like to call and tell her about. Sorry to ramble, again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Sunflower said...

I am so sorry for your loss.
11 years ago my dad went into the hospital on a Thursday suspecting gallstones.
Then on Friday they were talking treatable cancer.
Saturday his spleen ruptured and emergency surgery found him full of cancer.
Early Sunday morning, he died.
Just like that.
I guess I am still stunned this many years later.
I will pray for strength for all of you.
hugs.