Monday, April 06, 2009

Playing in the dirt

The Chief & I took advantage of the lovely weather over the weekend and worked out in the yard. He'd gotten some free (wahoo!) daffodils when he was out at the cabin last week and stopped by a local nursery for some of their good, dirt cheap compost. The daffodils were the first things to go into the ground. I was a bit apprehensive, since spring isn't usually when I'd plant them, but we had some rain earlier today and they seem happy so far.

I also dug up some mats of vinca and transplanted them into the dirt strip down the center of the driveway. I'm hoping they establish themselves more quickly than the cuttings I planted last year. The vinca in general is going gangbusters this spring, so I'm hoping that planting them with some of that lovely compost will persuade the transplants that they like their new homes.

Yesterday I spent way too much money at the fancy-schmancy nursery (the local one doesn't look long for this world - shockingly little stock for April). I got the flat of impatiens planted in the bed under the mailbox and installed 2 little pots of Irish moss at the top of the driveway, where I'm hoping they'll dig in and spread to their hearts' content. I also bought 2 varieties of thyme, a hellebore and lots of different plants to go into the flower boxes for the deck railing. Oh goody - more excuses to play in the dirt! :D

No comments: