Sunday, September 17, 2006

Computers make bad paperweights

... because they take up so very much room on the desk. Ours has been a paperweight since the modem died nearly two weeks ago. (I'm writing this from someone else's computer, so I have to keep it short lest I overstay my welcome.) I spent over 5 hours on the phone with various tech support types, getting passed back and forth between Verizon and Dell in numerous vain attempts to diagnose the problem(s) - so long that I completely ran down the battery in the cordless phone's handset and had the wretched thing die on me in the middle of my 3rd conversation w/ a Dell techie. So we're going modem shopping today and, insha'allah, will be back on line tonight or tomorrow.

In other news, my callback went well, but all 3 of the other Jane candidates had bigger voices than I do, so I'm in the chorus. I'm OK with that; I was delighted to be considered for a lead when I'd only requested chorus - wonderful for my ego! Getting cast means the Chief is back to being a Theater Widower; hope the transition isn't too hard for him.

Last weekend my voice teacher & I went to NJ to spend that Saturday singing G&S with 70 or 80 like-minded individuals. What a wonderful choral sound! I ended up singing all of Buttercup on no notice (I'd been told I only needed to prepare the Act II music), but in that environment I did OK.

Mom starts chemo on Tuesday and is itching to get started so she can finish. Dad went home from the rehab hospital last Saturday. Neither of them can drive yet, so my siblings (thank God for responsible, reliable family members!!!) are coordinating chauffeur service, meals, and the like. Don't know yet when I'll go out to take my turn, but I'm sure they'll let me know. ;)

No comments: