Wednesday, June 21, 2006

*$%^#@!*%^! asthma!

After 2 weeks of perfect weather, our luck finally ran out. Sunday was hot and hazy; summer weather. Monday was a Code Orange day ("moderately unhealthy" air quality) and yesterday was Code Yellow ("moderately unhealthy for sensitive groups", such as those of us w/ asthma). I'd been off my maintenance inhalers for so very long that I was out of the habit of using them, so I spent yesterday feeling that all-too-familiar chest tightness. I managed OK at work, but by the time I got home, I was tired and a bit crabby from the effort. As I pulled up, a neighbor's daughter was cutting the grass for her elderly dad. I'd've gone over to say hi, but knew the grass "fumes" would only make my asthma worse, so I had to restrict myself to waving and going straight into the house. What really ticked me off was that I was supposed to go w/ the Chief to his parish council end-of-year picnic but because they'd probably be eating outside, I had to stay home. Poor Chief - he listened patiently (or maybe just pretended to) while I griped about having to limit what I do and miss out on stuff just because of the wretched asthma. I shouldn't have to choose between fun and breathing!

Today was another Code Yellow and the cumulative effect has been no fun at all. Wheezing and coughing, and wouldn't you know, I had to give a short briefing at a big-deal meeting. As we were going in, my boss asked if I wanted a cough drop or some water; when I told him it was the asthma acting up, he knew enough to stop. (Some people have some pretty curious ideas about what might help an asthmatic.) However, my asthma did ease up enough that I was able to get through my presentation without coughing. Thank heaven for small favors, I suppose.

No comments: