Sunday, June 18, 2006

Antiquing we will go...


If you like browsing antique stores & second-hand shops, it's great to be married to someone who's similarly inclined. I sometimes find myself saying yes when the Chief asks if I feel like hitting an antiques mall (e.g., when we were in Cape May) rather than having to persuade him to go with me. This weekend we were in NYC to visit his family (we were relieved to see his brother looking well just 2 weeks after surgery for kidney stones) and swung by the neighborhood second-hand store. I've previously found a large-ish cameo brooch at a very reasonable price, which will come in handy should I ever need it for a costume. (That's what I mean when I refer to "costume jewelry".) I've also found a few nice, soft handkerchiefs for a dollar each. However, yesterday was the most productive trip to date: the Chief spotted this charming Victorian chair in excellent condition for less than half what a "real" antique store would ask. The carving is well defined, with no bits broken off or even split. The upholstery is recent but inoffensive, and the construction is quite solid - barely creaks at all when you sit on it. This latest acquisition will probably end up in the bedroom we're adding out at the cabin, as it's a perfect height to sit on when donning or doffing shoes & socks.

No comments: