Saturday, April 23, 2005

Fancy footwear

Just got the e-mail from the Mikado producer/costumer. The women are going to be wearing geta (http://asianideas.com/getasandals1.html) in either red or natural. I hope we get those things SOON so I can start getting used to prancing around the stage in 'em. I've never worn thong-style sandals - couldn't stand having that thing between my toes - so this is definitely going to take some getting used to. And I'll be very interested to see how much difference the tabi socks (http://asianideas.com/japtabsoc.html) will make in terms of tolerating that thing between the toes.

Looks like these geta have rubber on the bottom. That will help keep the noise down so we can be heard as we're walking or dancing around on stage.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

The word is that the footwear has been ordered and with luck we'll get it in the next week or two. We've been encouraged to wear them a LOT once we get them. I will definitely be wearing my tabi & geta around the house as well as at rehearsal so I can get used to walking around in them. That's my biggest concern; the body mic, wig and kimono, even juggling a fan and parasol, don't worry me as much as learning to walk naturally in footwear so very different from anything I'm used to.

As for dancing (or whatever) in them, well, I know it can be done. I once saw a professional Hungarian folk dance troupe perform a number in which the women's costumes included little wooden-heeled mule-type sandals. They were running about the stage (Hungarian dances all seem to include at least one allegro vivace section), jumping, being lifted by their partners, and not one sandal went astray. Thank heaven none of the choreography we've seen so far involves anything so energetic!

But we block the Act I finale tomorrow...