Friday, November 02, 2012

Getting psyched for holiday baking

A couple of times I've gotten (just barely) organized enough to do a little baking for the neighbors at Christmas.  Nothing fancy, usually just a quickbread (though one year I did use my mini-bundt molds instead of loaf pans).  This year, though, I've allowed myself to be seduced by the King Arthur Flour catalog and have ordered a fruitcake mix and some mixed dried fruit.  I also ordered some boiled cider (like apple extract, apparently) and eggnog extract to try.  The reviews on the site were pretty enthusiastic, so I'm cautiously optimistic.  I plan to try the boiled cider in apple pie and cake to see if it ups the apple ante in those recipes.  I'm especially looking forward to the eggnog extract.  Homemade eggnog lattes, anyone? :D

No comments: