Tuesday, May 12, 2015

This year's garden

I went off to the nursery on Mother's Day and came home with
  • a red begonia and assorted portulaca for the "mailbox bed";
  • 2 varieties of lavender for the corner of the house where the squash failed;
  • coreopsis, rudbeckia and a "blanket flower" (gaillardia) for the now-sunny patch out front;
  • a red geranium, white petunia & blue lobelia for the single railing planter;
  • dianthus, lantana and phlox for the double railing planter (in reds, pinks & whites - it already looks like a valentine!);
  • rosemary, basil and parsley; and
  • two varieties of cherry tomato and a zucchini plant (fingers crossed that no squash borers find it!).
Yesterday the Chief & I went back to the nursery so he could pick out what he wants for the shed.  We got a dutchman's pipe for the trellis (nurseryman: "if you're really lucky, it'll attract pipevine swallowtails") and begonias and new guinea impatiens for the windowboxes.

I got most of these in the ground (or planter) today, and came into the house filthy from head to toe.  As I was getting ready for my post-garden shower, I had to laugh - I had a big smudge on my forehead that made it look as though I'd just been to church to get ashes! :D 

I got a lot done, but had to quit before I got the tomatoes, squash, and 4 of the 6 phlox plants in the ground.  Won't have time for that tomorrow (see earlier post), so that'll be Thursday's gardening project.  Gonna be fun!

No comments: