Tuesday, December 11, 2012

This fight scene may be the death of me

Tonight we worked on the first half of Act II, which includes the fight scene I'm in.  When we got to that point, the director stopped us and made the 3 of us in the fight run it, and run it, and run it some more.  There are a couple of places I'm still having trouble with - can't seem to get my balance right, or this isn't convincing, or the timing of that is still not there.  It doesn't help that, not only am I already a few inches taller than my "opponent", but the cowboy boots add 3 full inches to that height difference and shift my balance forward. That little piece will probably only take a minute or less, yet it felt like we spent an hour on it (probably only 10 or 15 minutes).  I was getting frustrated - just couldn't seem to get it right, though I'm closing in on it.  The director plans to have us run that sequence at least once before every rehearsal from now on, and we'll probably run it on the set before every performance too.  We need to get it into our muscular memory and the only way to do that is to run it and run it and run it and ...

In fact, it was an exhausting rehearsal in general.  In addition to the fight scene, the section we ran tonight included the laughing and my big, teary scene - all my most emotional and physical bits.  Good thing I'm off stage for the next piece; I'll need the time not only to change costume but to repair my make-up!

No comments: