Monday, July 11, 2011

Two-fer for the ortho

I managed to hurt my shoulder during my training a few weeks ago, and then my knee seized up on me and has been bothering me ever since, so I had a two-fer when I went to the orthopedist this afternoon.

It was an "interesting" visit, starting w/ having to park a block away (construction eating up half the parking lot). "Nothing left but handicapped parking" they said, yet as I gimped thru the lot in the 109-heat-index heat, I passed at least half a dozen empty spots. Sigh.

However:
- The nurse taking my stats was all impressed that I'd lost weight since I was there in early Feb (before I started WW). When I told her I was on Weight Watchers, she asked "Does it work?" "You're looking at the numbers!"
- The ortho's bedside manner was much better this time. He checked my shoulder, determined I have rotator cuff damage to go w/ the arthritis in the AC joint, ordered an MRI & PT. I've got my fingers crossed that the MRI shows little or no damage; if it's torn all the way through, I have to have surgery, but only if it's torn all the way through.
- He said I have a little arthritis in the knee - no surprise - and I've also "aggravated" the joint around the patella. (If I apologize to my knee, maybe send it flowers, do you think it would forgive me?) He told me to give it NSAIDs and time - up to "several months"! It still hurts, but it's a relief to know that he didn't think surgery is required.
- There was a produce stand set up outside the HMO's front door! The heat made all the fruit smell WONDERFUL but I only bought 2 boxes of strawberries & one of blueberries instead of buying *everything* that looked or smelled good.

The heat gave me a migraine and nausea, but imitrex and a light dinner eventually did the trick. Better living thru chemistry, right? ;) That and a husband who was willing to fix dinner while I lay down for a bit.

No comments: