Saturday, March 24, 2007

Gardening update

Picked up 6 bags of topsoil the other day to fill in holes in the "boxes" in the driveway and a few places in the yard; I'll probably do that tomorrow.

The crocuses I planted in the driveway last fall have come up nicely. Mostly yellow, a few white, but no purple ones; at least, not yet. And of the 4 mazus reptans I planted last year, only 1 seems to have survived. I've noticed a few tiny green leaves making an appearance; maybe this year it'll manage better. However, I went ahead and ordered some "walk-on-me" for a ground cover. With any luck, it'll live up to its advertising and spread quickly so the new dirt doesn't follow the old dirt down the driveway and into the street. Looks like it shouldn't interfere w/ the crocuses, and the few surviving sprigs of vinca and pachysandra TW planted there last fall should be ok there too. Maybe this will be the year that dirt between the concrete strips finally looks halfway decent, instead of the semi-eroded weed patch it's been for so long.

My vinca's looking a little peaked so far this year. Maybe it's just the way the temperatures have been changing so dramatically (lows in the 50s one day last week, followed by highs in the 40s the next day!), but the flowers that have appeared so far are smaller and paler than usual.

No comments: