Thursday, June 02, 2005

I really should be napping...

... but we open TOMORROW and I'm too nervous, excited, wired, or whatever. I know my brain would never "downshift" enough to let me fall asleep, even though I didn't get to bed until 1:00 this morning, and was awake again before 7.

Last night I tried my wig again, this time making use of the elastic band whose mysteries have now been vouchsafed unto me. ("After all, you know how to wear a wig, don't you?" "No, I've only worn them twice before and had a heck of a time keeping them on." My own hair falls past my waist - who needs a wig?) It was really very easy; move the strap over to a tighter hook and maneuver the wig into place. It stayed secure all night, even as I groveled at the Mikado's feet, and that without a single pin to hold it. No need for the staple gun after all.

And I've hit on a more-or-less effective way to corral all my hair to fit under the wig. I separate it into quadrants, make 4 braids, then start zigzagging them across my head and put a wig cap over all.

Our costumer wants all of us to have flowers or something in our wigs, so I just dug out some peachy-colored flowers left over from dressing a hat for a show a couple of years ago. The flowers will go into my wig and should look good with my costume. Did I mention how much I love my costume? This show is beautifully costumed! I just love parading about in my kimono with its spiffy little train, and I have no trouble remembering to do my "sleeve dances" (in some places in the music we're supposed to move our sleeves around to the music) - more opportunities to show off my lovely little seahorses.

Fewer train wrecks last night, though tonight we've got one more thing to try so the women can execute a couple of our choreographies without tromping all over each other's trains. Sure hope this works - this is our last rehearsal before we do this for an audience!!!

And a great prop moment. One of our choristers is 12 years old, so the director at one point had her mime chasing a butterfly around the stage, but that wasn't working too well. Last night one of our cast showed up with a wonderful Asian fish kite (looks kinda like one of those fighting fish) in colors which match our costumes! How perfect is that! Now V runs around the stage with her kite - it looks beautiful and I just love the fact that the kite matches the rest of the stage picture!

I still need to rig some elastic on my new sandals so they don't flop around. They stay on my feet, but because the straps are so very far forward on the foot, the heel flops rather resoundingly when walking up & down the wooden platforms.

Tonight we set the curtain calls. My first curtain call as a lead! Wonder which character(s) I'll be grouped with? Watch this space... :D

No comments: