Sunday, January 27, 2013

So what did I learn?

... from doing this show? 
  • First & foremost, that I can do more than I thought I could.  My memorization was never quite where I wanted it to be, but I did manage to pull off the role.
  • I found that I was usually able to cry when I needed to, something that I'm sure will be useful in subsequent roles.
  • When I have a LOT of lines to learn, I'll set mini-deadlines for memorizing X number of pages or certain scenes. ("I have to be completely off book by this date, so I'll get this scene down by date A, pages 20-30 down by date B...")
  • With a lot of thought and focus, I can shift from one mood to another in a single scene and make it believable.  That is, if one friend's comments weren't meant only to protect my feelings... ;)
  • I can "smoke" onstage pretty realistically with fake cigarettes.
  • With enough practice and patience, my "opponent" and I can pull off a scuffle.
  • I'm a Del Shores fan - I love the way he writes for women, at least in this play.

No comments: