Friday, September 14, 2012

Jonathans!

My favorite apple variety is the jonathan but they're virtually impossible to find in grocery stores anymore.  Fortunately, there's a family-run orchard near the cabin that grows a wide variety of apples, including my beloved jonathans.  We were out at the cabin last weekend and I ran over to the orchard Saturday morning.  They had only just picked the first jonathans - they were still sorting the earlier apples, and didn't even have that variety listed on the chalkboard yet.  I came home with 2 pecks - half a bushel - and the Chief and I have already gone through about half that.  I'd forgotten how much I love these, and when they've been allowed to ripen before being picked, well - ambrosia, thy name is apple!

The original plan was to make a BIG apple pie, but now it's looking more like applesauce, since that freezes well and is better for us, since I make it without sugar.  That'll be a project for the weekend; the house is gonna smell SOOOOO good!

No comments: