Monday, July 23, 2007

Car payments in my future

Sigh. I like my little 1999 Saturn, but now that it's up to 91K miles, I'm starting to look for a replacement. I bought this one in a hurry (had just returned from overseas and the meter on the rental car was ticking over at an alarming rate) and would rather not have to make another hurry-up purchase. I paid it off years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble to speak of, knock wood, so whatever I find is gonna hafta have something special to make it worth taking on car payments before I absolutely have to. I'm not the type to name my car or otherwise anthropomorphize it - as long as it's reliable and big enough to haul occasional loads of props, costumes, bedding plants, cabin supplies or whatever, I'm satisfied. That rules out anything "sporty", and I certainly don't need a minivan or SUV. Availability in a not-boring color is a plus, but hardly a sine qua non. (The Latin is for my Latin-scholar godson.)

I picked up the 2007 Consumer Reports car issue and just started wading through it (it wasn't nearly this detailed the last time I went thru this exercise - I feel like I'm doing a research paper!) but would also like to hear from folks who've recently bought a car. Are you happy w/ what you bought? If you had it to do over, would you get something different? Any horror stories you'd like to share, if only to get a sympathetic ear? ;)

2 comments:

David Gorsline said...

I'm a long-time Honda fan. If economy and cargo-hauling are on your mind, you might consider the Fit.

Maureen said...

Thanks for the suggestion. As it happens, we looked at a Fit this afternoon. I'd prefer sthg a little bigger, but I was very impressed with the way the cargo area is designed. In fact, the Fit incorporates a lot of really good, efficient design.

Because of where we looked, I could only drive it around the parking lot - barely got into 2nd gear. If it makes it to the finals, I'll definitely want to test-drive one someplace where I can get it up past 10 mph.