Sunday, August 16, 2026

designing Blithe Spirit

 Most of the hairpieces I ordered for Blithe Spirit arrived today.  Once I have the last one, I’ll head to the theater and start styling the wigs.  The two for Ruth should be easy enough - slick them back into a bun and add the headband with a matching braid on it, to get something like this.  (Ruth gets 2 wigs; twin  styles but one is ghost-gray.) The Elvira wig shouldn’t need much - probably just a trim to make it more of a Louise Brooks style.  

The wig for Mrs. Bradman will take a bit more work.  I found one in the company’s stock that will suit; I just need to have at it with water, styling gel, and assorted styling implements to convey a sense of trying but not quite able to pull off something like this.

 I’m still deciding what to do for Edith, and I need to have a discussion with the director, costumers and actor about Madam Arcati’s hairstyle.  She’s an eccentric, which gives us a lot more leeway.

I need to get in the habit of taking photos of the wigs as I finish them, if only so I’ll have them for a portfolio.  I also should make myself take notes on what worked and what didn’t to achieve a particular result.

The makeup will be pretty straightforward.  I’ve already established that the special ghost makeup the director wants to use won’t trigger any allergic reactions.  Now we just have to see how it works under the special when the lighting designers get all their instruments hung in the theater.

No comments: