1. I learned I'd won an award for the makeup I designed for a production of Blithe Spirit last fall.
2. I was in the ensemble of a production of Elixir of Love. As the housekeeper, my costume was all black, which made me just about invisible backstage. I joked that I was a walking curtain leg! I also bought myself a fancy chatelaine & a few accessories from Etsy, just because. And yes, I designed the hair and makeup, too.
3. I designed and was in the ensemble of a production of Patience, set in a 1950s coffee shop. That meant 50s hair for the ladies. I let mine grow out a little so I could approximate a period wave. Unfortunately, I had to sit out the 2nd weekend for a weird reason. I'd been battling recurring sinus infections since Elixir closed, so they had me on Bactrim, which elevated my temperature. Weird! I was able to come back for the final performance, but didn't have the energy to "suit up" and go onstage. However, at the MD's request, I did sing from the wings.
4. After I'd committed to Patience, I was asked to design Drowsy Chaperone. 1920s - fun period! However, their dates overlapped, and of course I had rehearsals and such for Patience. I told them that I'd love to design the show but had a prior commitment and gave them my lengthy list of conflicts. They still wanted me, and found someone to help. That worked out beautifully! Diana & I worked well together, we got to work on a fun show that looked great, and I was still able to meet my commitments to Patience. I wouldn't do overlapping shows again (I was home maybe 3 nights the entire month of May), but I'm glad I got the chance to do Chaperone.
5. I had so much fun with Blithe Spirit last year that when I found out that the Chaperone company was doing Blithe Spirit, I offered to design it. This time I get to put blacklight makeup on the ghosts, and do slightly different hairstyles; closer to mid-1930s than 1940. (Another fun period to design.)
6. October will bring Caroline, or Change. To my surprise & relief, the director has 2 of us doing hair & makeup: I'm doing the white folks and she's doing the Black folks. I'm looking forward to looking how to care for and style Black hair; there's always more to learn! Not to mention this will be my first show set in the 1960s; guess I'll be "forced" to research styles for a period I haven't designed before. 😊
And I got to spend a day in a country setting singing G&S with about 3 dozen like-minded folks. I haven't done that in ages - great fun!


No comments:
Post a Comment