Monday, October 05, 2026

And it’s back!

Had my final follow-up with the surgeon today.  He noticed immediately that my voice sounds much better.  He scoped me and was happy to be able to report that my paralyzed vocal fold is back up and running again!  


I’ve still got a fair bit of swelling in the area, which is why my singing voice isn’t really back yet, but the worst is over.  The doc warned me that the radioactive iodine will cause swelling too.   Not what I wanted to hear, but at least it won’t be a nasty surprise when it happens.

The Chief asked how long it will take me to recover from the iodine.  We were surprised to be told 6-9 months!  However, he also assured me I’ll be able to travel once I’m out of quarantine.  Nuclear Medicine will give me a letter to show TSA in case I set off one of their sensors, to reassure them that any radiation I’m emitting is strictly medical. 


No comments: