Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Bragging on myself

Yes, I know it's a tiny thing, but indulge me. I made a wide sash for one of the principals - 2" strips of red, white and blue sewn together to make a 6-inch-wide sash. I fitted it on M the other night to get the proper angle at the shoulder, see how it needed to cross at the hip, and check the length. Yesterday I sewed the fringe on the ends and made a rosette to be sewn onto the hip, then got everything fitted on M last night (rosette placement, tacking the sash where the front & back cross to make sure they hang well). I was very pleased with the result; the sash and rosette "read" very well, at least from halfway back in the audience, the trailing ribbons on the rosette lie exactly in line with the ends of the sash (pure serendipity but I'm not complaining!), the decision to double up on the fringe was a good one, the sash doesn't shift around or ride up on M's suitcoat - much more rewarding than straight hems or solidly-sewn fastenings that no one will ever see.

No comments: