Tuesday, April 19, 2005

What kind of American do you speak? Don't ask these folks!



Your Linguistic Profile:



45% General American English

20% Yankee

15% Dixie

15% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern




I saw this on a few friends' blogs and decided to try it. It seems to me this is truly flawed. It only addresses a very few regionalisms and its few pronunciation questions are very far from representative. It also doesn't allow for the fleeting nature of slang (none of my terms for an easy course were offered; none of the terms offered are ones I'd use).

I've never lived in the South; my use of y'all is strictly a linguistic souvenir from a Texan roommate my freshman year in college. Yet based on a single word, the "test" thinks I speak 15% Dixie. I've never lived in the upper Midwest, but these results disagree. I was raised in the middle Midwest, so how the heck do they come up with 0% midwest?!? Having lived on the East Coast longer than I lived in the Midwest has certainly had its effect; that probably accounts for the 20% Yankee. But I still buy my soda (East Coast veneer) from a pop machine (Midwest), I don't add Rs to the end of words that are spelled with an A at the end (e.g., "sofa"), I stand in line, not on line. Ah well, I suppose this is about as reliable as a lot of other "information" available on the Internet.

No comments: